TWO FRONT DESK ATTENDANTS
Date posted: February 27, 2013
Department: Admissions and Box Office
Reports to: Admissions and Box Office Manager
Status: Part-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Schedule: Thursdays, Fridays, occasional Saturday evenings, and weekends
The Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, is seeking two friendly, reliable individuals with excellent cash-handling and interpersonal skills to work at the museum’s admissions desk and box office.
The Front Desk provides a first impression of the ICA to all visitors. The attendants meet and greet the public, provide information about the museum and surrounding areas, selli admission tickets, promote/sell on-site memberships, as well as selling tickets to theater events by phone and on site.
- Sell admission tickets to museum and theater visitors, processing payment via the Patron Edge ticketing software system
- Follow cash handling procedures to ensure accurate and timely processing of payments
- Prepare daily deposits and forms by summarizing receipts and reconcilling cash and credit card sheet in order to bank monies at shift's end
- Promote and sell memberships to visitors on site.
- Maintain ticket stock by tracking and maintaining appropriate level of inventory
- Maintain automated systems, notifying the Admissions and Box Office Manager and the IT Department with any malfunction
- Assist patrons in their use and enjoyment of the ICA facilities by providing general museum information concerning exhibitions, facilities, fees, membership information, and other inquiries
- Answer and respond to telephone inquiries, forwarding calls to appropriate departments when necessary
- Control and direct lobby crowds, acting as museum greeter when necessary
- Collect visitor email addresses to complete visitor experience surveys
- Work extra hours to cover box office shifts, selling tickets and distributing will-call tickets for theater performances as necessary
- Communicate with gallery staff by radio, relaying any important information
- Operate the museum coat check
- Promotes and distribute visitor audio commentary
- Verifiable experience as an admissions desk attendant, cashier, or comparable position requiring daily customer assistance and handling of cash
- Friendly, strong interpersonal skills, enthusiastic attitude, and the ability to represent the ICA in a professional and positive manner
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- A neat and courteous appearance
- A self-starter with initiative to keep oneself informed of all museum policies, promotions, and events
- Ability to work well with staff and visitors, while enthusiastically communicating museum procedures and information to the general public
- Ability to use good judgment and respond effectively in handling crowds and waiting line
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment, responding calmly under pressure
- Availability to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays during museum hours
- Flexible team player, honest, punctual, and reliable
Interested candidates, please send a letter of interest, resume, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We are located at 100 Northern Avenue, Boston and accessible by public transportation (Red Line and Silver Line).