Position Title: Senior Front Desk Attendant
Department: Admissions and Box Office
Reports to: Admissions, Box Office and Membership Manager
Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt, 32 hours per week
Schedule: Tuesday mornings, Thursday & Friday evenings, Saturday & Sunday.
The Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston is seeking a friendly, reliable person with excellent cash handling and interpersonal skills to work at the museum’s admissions desk and box office.
The Senior Front Desk attendant is responsible for administering the admissions desk by providing exceptional customer service to the ICA’s visitors, selling admission to the museum, promoting and selling memberships and selling tickets for performances. In addition, the Senior Front Desk attendant will be authorized for cash handling responsibilities. Evening and weekend hours required.
Admissions and Box Office
- Supervise front desk staff in the absence of the manager, making sure other staff members are accurately processing ticket and membership sales and adhering to safety and security policies of the museum.
- Sell admission tickets to museum and theater visitors, receiving payment and processing the sales using the Patron Edge ticketing software system.
- Maintain ticket stock by tracking and maintaining appropriate level of inventory.
- Provide general information and responds to patrons’ requests for museum information concerning facilities, fees, membership information and other inquiries in order to assist patrons in their use and enjoyment of the ICA facilities
- Answering and responding to telephone inquiries and forwarding calls to proper departments
- Controls and directs crowds in lobby
- Works box office shifts for theater performances.
- Set up daily admissions and group tour events.
- Resolve visitor complaints and handle necessary refunds to visitors.
- Follow cash handling procedures to ensure accurate and timely processing of payments.
- Reconcile any overages or shortages from other front desk staffer’s deposits.
- Make change for front desk staff and go to the bank to get change when needed.
- Access safe and set up cash drawers in the morning and return money to safe at the close of the day, making sure all cash drawers and deposits are accounted for.
- Maintain automated systems by ensuring that the systems are working properly.
- Batch printing of online sales.
- Verifiable experience as an admissions desk attendant or cashier or comparable position that requires assisting customers and handling cash on a daily basis. Box office experience a plus.
- Friendly, strong interpersonal skills; an enthusiastic attitude and the ability to represent the ICA in a professional and positive manner.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, time sensitive environment and respond calmly under pressure.
- Must have strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate a neat and courteous appearance to museum visitors.
- A self-starting attitude with the initiative to keep oneself informed of all policies and promotions and events in the museum.
- Ability to work well with staff and visitors and enthusiastically communicate museum procedures and information to the general public.
- Ability to use good judgment and respond effectively in handling crowds and waiting line.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and trouble shoot when dealing with difficult situations.
- Available to work evenings, weekends and holidays when the museum is open.
- Flexible team player, honest punctual and reliable.
Interested candidates should send letter of interest, resume and salary history to the following email addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying include “Sr. Front Desk Attendant” in subject line of email. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We are located at 100 Northern Avenue, Boston and accessible by public transportation (Red Line and Silver Line).