Visitor Services Gallery Assistant
The ICA seeks a reliable, strong customer service-oriented individual for this position that combines the responsibilities of gallery security guard with museum information and exhibition interpretation.
Resumes accepted on an ongoing basis. Selected candidates will be contacted as positions become available.
Visitor Assistants act as the primary point of security for the artwork and the visitors. The primary responsibility of a Visitor Assistant is the safety of the artwork and the enforcement of ICA policies. A Visitor Assistant is responsible for monitoring the gallery spaces and protecting the art while engaging with the public to answer questions and provide information about the exhibits and the ICA. A Visitor Assistant greets visitors as they enter the galleries and ensures that all guests have proper access.
Please note that this poisition require standing for long periods of time, adherence to dress code and ICA policies, and working some evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Welcome and monitor visitors to ensure that all guests who enter the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest.
- Monitor large numbers in ICA areas to provide a smooth flow of visitation, while keeping the safety of the artwork the main priority and enforcing ICA policies.
- Respond to questions from the public and promote programs when applicable, enforcing ICA policies.
- Serve as an advocate for the visitor while promoting the safety of the ICA; communicate consistently with visitors to ensure a positive ICA experience.
- Assist in maintaining the inventory of ICA brochures and literature, monitor the gallery space and report on any incidents or issues.
- Perform other duties as directed by management.
Visitor Services Assistants will work a set schedule during weekdays, weekends, and Thursday and Friday evenings, as well as some holiday hours.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Experience with or knowledge of contemporary visual art
- Experience in a security-related position
- Customer service experience
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly and outgoing, able to conduct oneself in a polite and professional manner in a variety of situations.
- Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork
- Ability to use good judgment and to respond in handling crowds and waiting lines while remaining calm and presenting a professional demeanor
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org