The Facilities Technician will perform tasks associated with the general building operations in the ICA’s three physical paces and needs including but not limited to inspecting, testing, and performing operations and preventative maintenance on mechanical and electrical equipment, and electronic building management control equipment; assisting with mechanical repairs, testing procedures, general building maintenance, event control and support, preparing gallery spaces for art installations and maintaining gallery areas after installations. This is a full-time, hourly position.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work to be in compliance with ICA’s vaccination policy.
- Perform installation and maintenance mechanical work as required for the facility management and equipment systems in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, and manufacturer specifications.
- Perform or oversee contracted performance of preventative maintenance and repairs to all air and water distribution systems equipment, including Air Handling Units (AHU), Fan Coil Units (FCU), Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) unit, fans, motors, dampers, Variable Air Volume (VAV) boxes, chilled and hot water systems, life safety systems, and domestic hot water systems; including but not limited to belt adjustment, oil changes, filter changes, and equipment bearing greasing
- Execute or oversee contracted performance of preventive maintenance on various mechanical and electrical equipment, including re-lamping of electrical fixtures
- Perform daily inspections, meter reading and equipment monitoring tours
- Respond to service calls and work orders related to mechanical and electrical systems including the lighting control system, security control system, carpentry, painting and furniture installations
- Keep abreast of equipment changes and facility management best practices
- Assume supervisor responsibilities in the absence of the Facilities Manager, responding to ICA facility vendors and internal staff representative
- Oversee the execution of and response to support needs for internal and external special events; supervise event setup and breakdown crews, Facilities Event Techs and event support vendors as needed
- Respond to building emergencies as needed; may occur outside of regular museum business hours
- Conduct general housekeeping of mechanical and electrical areas
- Complete work in accordance with all applicable codes and ICA policies
- Assist Chief Preparator with art arrivals, de-crating, set-ups, housing, installing, and de-installations as necessary
- Perform carpentry and painting tasks related to the building and art set up as needed
- Two to three years of prior experience in general building maintenance
- Knowledge of facility mechanical and electrical equipment including HVAC, lighting, and management control equipment. Hands-on maintenance experience preferred
- Prior experience in event control and support preferred
- Must be able to work varying shifts and days and be on call during assigned periods
- Ability to work collegially, professionally, and collaboratively with a diverse group of constituents including, staff, visitors, and vendors
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast-paced environment a must
- Possess the ability to meet the physical demands of the job including use of ladders, overhead work, including operating mechanical lifts and genies, lifting 50 lbs, standing, kneeling and bending for long periods may be required
- Must be able to tolerate loud noises for long periods of time and use safety equipment to protection to perform tasks
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license required
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. When applying, please include “Facilities Technician” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.