The Institute of Contemporary Art strives to share the pleasures of reflection, inspiration, provocation, and imagination that contemporary art offers through public access to art, artists, and the creative process. The Studio Assistants will work within the Education department as needed to support and implement public studio programs and events. Studio Assistants will prepare and facilitate workshops, activities, and events at the ICA, such as the ICA’s Play Date program for youth and families. Studio Assistants do not hold a regular weekly schedule and instead work shifts that correspond to events and programs at the ICA. Hiring is contingent on passing a CORI screening. This is a part-time, hourly position.
1. All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
2. All ICA employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of work to be in compliance with the vaccine policy.
- Work with ICA Education staff to prepare and implement studio programs for a range of audiences
- Facilitate and lead art-making workshops and activities
- Support visitors of all ages in their art-making; lead art-making experiences that are inclusive and developmentally-appropriate
- Maintain studio spaces and ensure that materials are accessible, frequently replenished, well organized and presentable
- Maintain knowledge of related artists and artworks; foster connections with works on view at the ICA
- Work with ICA Education staff to collect and update data on studio programming
- Strong interpersonal skills; background working with family and youth audiences a plus
- Experience or demonstrated interest teaching studio-based lessons and workshops in visual arts to a range of audiences
- Knowledge of studio art media, materials, and processes
- Strong organizational skills; penchant for maintaining well-organized studio spaces
- Ability to identify, react to, and resolve visitor-related issues in the moment
- Ability to work independently, to meet deadlines as well as on a collaborative team
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus
- Must have Saturday availability
- Must pass a CORI screening
Rate: $18/hour (as of January 9, 2022)
Interested candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to Jessie Miyu Magyar, School and Family Programs Manager, at email@example.com. When applying, please include “Studio Assistant” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.