The ICA Visitor Assistants are reliable, strong customer service oriented individuals who combine the responsibilities of gallery safeguarding with museum information and exhibition interpretation. Visitor Assistants are responsible for overseeing the gallery spaces and protecting the art while ensuring a positive museum experience by providing exemplary customer service and education. The Visitor Assistant will have the opportunity to work as a key member of an education-oriented, visitor-centered staff. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute meaningfully to the visitors’ experience of ICA exhibitions. This is a part-time, hourly position.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- All ICA employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
- Serve as a liaison to visitors while promoting safety of the museum, communicate clearly and consistently with visitors to ensure a positive museum experience while facilitating safe and engaging interactions with artwork.
- Remain informed and up-to-date of artwork on view, enhance visitor experience through interpretation and engaging inquiry based conversation.
- Monitor visitors in gallery areas to provide smooth flow of visitation, prioritize artwork and visitor safety during regular museum hours, onsite programs, and special events.
- Enforce museum guidelines in a clear and friendly manner.
- Work in conjunction with gallery supervisors and security to respond to emergency situations.
- Assist with use of educational resources and spaces, and promote programs when applicable.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of brochures, literature, and gallery resources for the public.
- Engage with visitors to answer questions and resolve concerns, partner with gallery supervisors to share feedback and resolve visitor experience concerns.
- Report artwork incidents to gallery supervisors.
- Contribute to regular educational gallery programming, such as Pop-Up Talks and weekend family book readings.
- Attend staff exhibition trainings, museum-wide trainings, all staff and education department meetings as able.
- Additional duties as directed by management
- Six months or more customer service experience required, preferably in retail, hospitality, or cultural organizations.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and diverse environment.
- Experience with contemporary art, public speaking, and museum education a plus.
- Experience with safety protocols is a plus.
- Ability to be assertive if needed to enforce museum guidelines.
- Solid interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with individuals of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
- Ability to identify, react to, and resolve visitor-related issues in the moment; strong decision-making skills required.
- Ability to work collegially, professionally and collaboratively with a diverse group of constituents including staff, visitors and vendors.
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus
- Must be able to work a weekly set schedule, including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Pay Rate: $18 per hour
Visitor Assistants must adhere to dress code and ICA policies. Work for this position is performed in a museum setting and involves working with the public and all that entails. Work involves extended periods of standing and/or walking. Staff in this position use and/or operate a hand-held radio for communication.
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include “Visitor Assistant” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.