The Visitor Experience Manager oversees the Education Department’s efforts to support all visitors in their direct engagement with contemporary art at the ICA. The Manager maintains a team of staff trained with effective engagement strategies and safety procedures to support diverse museum visitors on ICA exhibitions, programs, and collection. The Manager works collaboratively and with shared responsibility with other department directors and managers to ensure achievement of museum’s strategic goals and department initiatives. Some evening and weekend work required. This position directly oversees two Visitor Experience Supervisors and a team of full-time and part-time gallery staff. This is a full-time, salaried position.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- All ICA employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Monday, October 25th, 2021. All new hires onboarding after Monday, October 25th, 2021 will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
- Oversee the successful recruitment, hiring, management, and retention of Visitor Experience Supervisors, Visitor Assistant Leads, and Visitor Assistants (VAs/20+)
- Oversees rigorous training for all gallery staff on ICA exhibitions and collection, customer service, and techniques for engaging diverse audiences with contemporary art
- Develop and model performance standards and practices for excellence in gallery engagement strategies
- Develop and maintain systems for evaluating performance of all related personnel; directly evaluate performance of Visitor Experience Supervisors and other key personnel
- Draft and distribute department policies and procedures for working in the galleries; ensure policies and procedures align with information in ICA Employee Handbook
- Oversee the administrative processes and procedures related to scheduling, timecards, and communications, as it pertains to Visitor Experience staff; ensure efficiency and effectiveness in these processes in collaboration with the Education Coordinator
- Work inter-departmentally to ensure the museum is accessible to meet different audience needs; meet in advance with members of the Curatorial Department to identify and address potential accessibility issues within exhibitions
- Oversee the development of gallery resources to support visitor accessibility, including the producing of transcripts when needed. Remain up to date on current trends and research on effective gallery resources
- Actively participate in inter-departmental committees and meetings, such as Exhibition Logistics, Access Team and more
- Work closely with Curatorial and Security Departments to ensure Visitor Assistants support the safety of all visitors, and reinforce and execute all museum rules in the galleries; invite members of the Curatorial and Security Departments to support ongoing training sessions on a regular basis
- Work closely with Admissions and External Relations to create effective ticketing plans, web, and print materials to ensure visitor safety and effective communication about museum experience
- Attend department, all-staff, Operations, and monthly exhibition meetings; meet regularly with Registrars and Director of Security & Safety to effectively troubleshoot gallery issues
- Work closely with supervisor, Human Resources, and IT to evaluate ongoing infrastructures for maintaining work schedules, safeguarding confidential documents related to personnel, and sharing training information in an efficient and effective manner; maintain said infrastructure with Visitor Experience Supervisors
- Manage the work of the Visitor Experience Supervisors to ensure VA team is executing their roles effectively in galleries, communicating issues and ideas from VAs regarding employment and/or visitors, and effectively and timely managing disciplinary issues that arise within VA staff
- Represent the ICA and related department initiatives at city-wide meetings, conferences, and other professional settings
- Maintain active and current knowledge on museum education and engagement strategies; participate in professional development opportunities that expand the department’s knowledge and leadership in arts education
- Draft and maintain an annual budget for Visitor Experience related initiatives with Director of Education
- Other duties as directed by supervisor
- Minimum four years of management, leadership and administrative experience
- Experience working with diverse audiences in a cultural, public and/or informal learning setting required
- Knowledge of ADA requirements for public spaces preferred.
- A passion for art, museums, culture, and learning needed
- Demonstrated experience training and mentoring a team
- Strong organizational, communication (written and verbal), and management skills
- Excellent conflict resolution skills required
- Ability to problem solve in a fast-paced environment a must
- The ability to work collaboratively across departments and establish productive, collegial relationships internally
- The ability to engage in spirited discussion while maintaining perspective, a professional demeanor, and a sense of humor
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include “Visitor Experience Manager” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.