The Visitor Experience Supervisor focuses on improving access to the museum, educational resources and information via the gallery workforce—Visitor Assistants (VAs), while ensuring the safety of all visitors and artwork and providing visitors with an exceptional museum experience. The Visitor Experience Supervisor partners with the other Visitor Experience Supervisor to manage the professional development of gallery personnel—Visitor Assistants and VA Leads and ensures that the gallery staff is equipped to enforce museum policies while serving the visitor. The Visitor Experience Supervisor provides administrative support for the Visitor Experience Manager. Evenings, weekends and some holidays may be required. This is a full-time, hourly position.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts or within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- All new hires are be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise galleries and gallery staff during museum hours and oversee the enforcement of museum guidelines, gallery protocols and regulations.
- Maintain a neat, clean, and welcoming gallery environment, monitor crowds in museum areas to provide a smooth visitation flow in and out of galleries.
- Supervise daily gallery activities including staff breaks, gallery coverage, and program support.
- Monitor galleries to ensure all areas are covered and properly staffed at all times.
- Work closely with Security, Facilities, and Visitor Services teams to ensure visitor concerns are addressed or resolved, and safety procedures are carried out effectively.
- Respond to inquiries from the public in a polite and courteous manner, and assist Visitor Assistants with public interactions when necessary. Observe and assist visitors, correct or report concerns to Director of Safety and Security, and Visitor Experience Manager as necessary.
- Serve as liaison for visitors while promoting the safety of the museum objects and spaces; communicates clearly and consistently with visitors and staff to ensure a positive visitor experience. Stays up to date on programs and exhibitions in order to support staff and visitors.
- Share responsibility of the performance and professionalism of all VA team members while on duty in the galleries; ensure that Visitor Assistants (VAs) and VA Leads enforce museum policies and procedures and keep abreast of exhibition and institution-related information.
- Collaborate with the other Visitor Experience Supervisor and VA Leads to assist with onboarding and training of new Visitor Assistants and VA candidates for Gallery Operator, to help familiarize them with their newly assigned duties and position responsibilities.
- Collaborate with other Visitor Experience Supervisor and Visitor Experience Manager to identify potential candidates for VA Leads roles, assist with training and development of selected team members.
- Work with team to successfully implement gallery programs, such as Pop-Up Talks, Books and Looks, and support VAs teaching in these areas.
- Observe and inspect artwork for change or compromise of any kind, and ensure all art exhibits are in proper working order.
- Communicate with Visitor Experience Manager, registrar, and/or preparators regarding condition and maintenance of gallery exhibits. Promptly submit incident reports when necessary.
- Secure galleries and ensure all team members are instructed on proper operation of necessary equipment and lighting.
- In conjunction with Security, safely evacuate staff and visitors in emergency situations.
- Manage and submit all VA timecards in web-based timekeeper for payroll processing.
- Plan, maintain and distribute weekly schedules for all team members, and ensure galleries are properly staffed at all times.
- Assist Visitor Experience Manager and Visitor Experience Supervisor with recruiting, hiring, and training of additional VA staff.
- Maintain annual performance evaluations for all Visitor Assistants and VA Leads, to assist with professional development.
- Assist Visitor Experience Manager with design and overall structure of evaluation process with regards to efficiency, monitoring, and frequency.
- Consult with Human Resources and Visitor Experience Manager to ensure all VA team members are aware of and adhere to policies and regulations of the museum and their position, to administer appropriate disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Plan and lead daily team meetings and certain trainings, serving as a team leader and motivator to foster positive rapport between VAs, VA Leads, other Visitor Experience Supervisor, management, all ICA staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the museum to ensure gallery personnel are well prepared to engage with the public, and safety protocols of the galleries are followed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years managerial and administrative experience required, previous experience handling and resolving performance issues.
- Minimum of 2 years customer service experience required.
- Ability to remain calm and professional under pressure.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and problem-solving skills required.
- Knowledge of contemporary art is highly desired.
- Ability to multi-task and pay close attention to details.
- Experience working with culturally diverse people in a public setting is desirable.
- Experience working in a fast-paced museum environment a plus.
- Must be responsible, reliable and maintain confidentiality working with sensitive information
- Possess the ability to exercise excellent judgment to enforce established policies and procedures for the safety and security of people, artwork and facilities in a complete, consistent and timely manner.
- Ability to work collegially, professionally and collaboratively with a diverse group of constituents including staff, visitors and vendors.
- Working knowledge of iPads, Wikis and Microsoft Office—Excel and Outlook required, experience using Sharepoint a plus.
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
- Must be able to work a weekly set schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Pay Rate: $22.00 per hour
Work for this position is performed on site at the ICA and involves interacting directly with the public and all that entails. Work involves extended periods of standing and walking and occasionally twisting or bending to lift items up to 40 pounds. While supervising staff on the gallery floor, the Gallery Supervisor and Administrator uses a hand-held radio for communication and an iPad.
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include “Visitor Experience Supervisor” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation Red and Silver Line.
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.