Kids rule the ICA the last Saturday of every month, when the museum fills up with fun, creative, and even zany activities for kids and adults to do together.
Don’t miss independently made short films screened throughout the day at the ICA for you and your family! Tap into the artist in you and take part in activities for all ages focusing on drawing and storytelling.Today we are offering a variety of animated and live action films best for children ages 6+ together with their adult companions, including Academy Award nominated Revolting Rhymes, based on the books by Roald Dahl plus films that demonstrate how animation artists use techniques we are exploring through hands on workshops for families in our Bank of America Art Lab.
Art Making Activities
- Making Storyboards | 10:30 AM–4 PM
ICA Common Room, 1st floor
Take a look at examples of storyboards used in the creation of films and then use drawing, design, and your own skills as a ‘Director’ to create storyboards from stories you and your family develop together. For kids and adults who enjoy drawing together.
- Animating Characters | 11 AM–1 PM + 2–4 PM
Bank of America Art Lab, 1st floor
How do animation artists invent characters? Try your hand at creating characters then learning ways to animate them using a light box with our visiting animation artist Hannah McGrath. Best for ages 5+ with adult support.
Family Film Program
Barbara Lee Family Foundation Theater, enter via 3rd floor
- 11:15 AM | Revolting Rhymes, Part 1 along with select short animated films
- 12:00 PM | Revolting Rhymes, Part 2 along with select short animated films
- 1:15 PM | New York International Children’s Film Festival Kids Flix 2 featuring live action and animated films with wise and witty views on friends, family, and fitting in.
- 3:00 PM | Revolting Rhymes, Part 1 along with select short animated films
- 3:45 PM | Revolting Rhymes, Part 2 along with select short animated films
In Our Galleries
See the ICA Collection, relax and enjoy a new video installation by Hito Steyerl, and take in photographs by Nick Nixon.
Note: half of our galleries are CLOSED for installation and will reopen on February 7.
- Books and Looks | 10:30, 11 + 11:30 AM
Staff led picture book readings share ideas about art and architecture especially for children ages 3-8 and their adults. Meet in the Poss Family Mediatheque, 4th floor.
- Family Pop-up Talks | 2:30, 3:00 + 3:30 PM
Enjoy staff-facilitated discussions focused on one art work including features for both kids and adults. Meet in the 4th floor galleries, ask ICA Visitor Assistants about today’s location.
- Casual Family Tours | 2–4 PM
Look for the tour guide with the Blue Ask Me button and take a mini-tour including art works of your choice together.
Admission is FREE for up to 2 adults per family when accompanied by children ages 12 and under. Youth 17 and under are always admitted free to the ICA. All ages welcome; programs best suited for ages 6 and older. Check back for programming details and schedules as program dates approach.
Play Dates are sponsored by Vivien and Alan Hassenfeld and the Hassenfeld Family Foundation.