You bring the beets, and we’ll bring the beats. Tune into a live DJ set from L’duke, and enjoy a delicious beets and blue salad recipe provided by Chef Kelley Schmidt of Four Seasons Hotel, One Dalton Boston.
L’duke, formerly known as DJ LeahV, has been a staple in the Boston nightlife community for over 15 years. Her ability to read any room with bold open format sets and near flawless mixing have earned her, not one, but two Boston Music Awards for DJ of the Year, the first and only woman to do so thus far. L’duke can be seen DJing all over Boston at her residencies and all over the country and is currently Lord Hobo Brewing Co.’s official DJ.
BEETS AND BLEU SALAD
- AUTHOR: Kelley Schmidt, Senior Sous Chef
- SERVING: 4-5 portions
- SEASON: Spring/Summer 2020
- ALLERGIES: Dairy, Nuts
- TYPE: Salad/Appetize
- CHINAWARE: Coupe Plate or Bowl
“I have adapted a light and elegant restaurant salad to be served family style along with your summer backyard grilling. Many of these steps can be done ahead of time, like roasting the beets the day before. Use this pickle recipe throughout the summer for your excess of fresh garden vegetables to enjoy for weeks and months ahead. The balance of this salad is highlighted by the richness of local blue cheese, tart pickled beets, earthy roasted beets, and light & fresh citrus. Here’s to an upcoming summer full of health, happiness and many meal memories.”
– Chef Kelley Schmidt
FOR THE ROASTED BEETS
FOR THE PICKLED BEETS
- Thoroughly wash the beets, using a pair of gloves to prevent staining, peel and cut the beets into an evenly sized shapes and sizes. I like using a melon baller.
- Add the beets to a jar or any sealable container along with the spices.
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar into a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid over the beets to completely cover. Allow to sit out and cool at room temperature to help lightly cook the beets.
- Seal and store for up to 3 months.
FOR THE ROASTED BEETS
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Thoroughly wash the beets, and place in an oven safe pan, and add water to cover the bottom and coating the beets with olive oil.
- Season the beets very generously with Kosher Salt and pepper, and add any aromatics you like such as orange rind, thyme, bay leaf, etc.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in preheated oven and check after 45 minutes, depending on size, they may take up to 90 minutes. They are ready when they are fork tender, and the skin peels off easily.
- Allow beets to cool until you are able to handle them, while still peeling them when still warm.
- Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator and cut to desired shape for use in many dishes.
FOR THE SALAD
- Wash and cut kale into small peices. Place in large mixing Bowl.
- Zest Grapefruit and Lemon into olive oil, segment orange & grapefruit and set aside, juice lemon into olive oil and mix.
- Toss the Kale with the olive oil and citrus mixture and season with salt and pepper, massaging the kale very well.
- Place the dressed Kale into its serving bowl and top the salad with roasted beets, pickled beets, citrus segments, blue cheese, and roasted nuts. Serve within 1.5 hours.
Official Hotel Sponsor
Are there access accommodations that would be useful to help you fully participate in this program (e.g. captioning, ASL, post-program transcript)? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your support helps keeps programs like this – both virtual and in-person – free and accessible in this time of uncertainty. If you are able, please consider becoming a member or making a one-time gift to support the ICA.