The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston (ICA) is looking to hire a seasonal House Manager for the Barbara Lee Family Foundation Theater. The House Manager will be responsible for the overall experience of audiences who attend performances and events at the ICA. For many patrons they are the face of the organization. This is an hourly position that will require primarily nights and weekends availability.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts and within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- Work with the production team to ensure the house opens on time
- Collaborate with security team to ensure the theater is safe for patrons
- Provide direction and training to theater ushers before each performance
- Manage seating or ticketing problems with the box office
- Work on a variety of performances including but not limited to contemporary theater and dance, artist lectures, films, family days, gallery performances, etc.
- Work primarily in the Barbara Lee Family Foundation Theater but on occasion work in other spaces
- Experience as a house manager preferred
- Ability to problem solve, be flexible and communicate clearly and concisely
- Work well with a diverse population
- Ability to work well under pressure and remain calm, cheerful, and resolute
- Prolonged periods of walking/standing during events
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time
- Ability to move about in the Theater and up and down stairs
- Ability to attend events at the museum, Watershed, and on the Harbor Walk
- Must be able to exchange accurate information
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2023. When applying, please include “House Manager” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
100 Pier 4 Blvd,
Boston, MA 02210
256 Marginal Street
Boston, MA 02128
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the
museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals. The ICA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, contact HR-EOE@icaboston.org or 617-478-3171.