The Visitor Services Associate will provide exceptional customer service to all visitors to the ICA. The ideal candidate will welcome visitors and provide information about the museum, sell general admission, events and theater performance tickets, as well as promote and sell memberships on-site, perform cashiering, cash-handling, and other daily tasks. This is a part-time, hourly position.
Evenings, weekends, and holiday availability required including November 21–26, 2023 and December 19–31, 2023.
Working at the ICA
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts and within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- Provide a friendly and enthusiastic attitude and represent the ICA in a professional and positive manner while selling and process general admission, event, and performance tickets
- Actively promote and sell ICA Memberships; assist with on-site membership processing
- Provide general information and respond to visitors’ requests for museum information about the facilities, fees, membership information, and other inquiries in order to assist visitors in their use and enjoyment of the ICA
- Perform all opening and closing responsibilities and tasks related to admissions and box office
- Prepare and process group visits and tours, keep informed of exhibitions and events
- Maintain a neat, organized, and stocked work space
- Respond to phone calls and email inquiries and forward to applicable departments when necessary
- Engage in visitor feedback and resolve visitor complaints including processing refunds as needed
- Control and direct crowds in lobby
- Access safe, set up cash drawers, and make change at open
- Assume responsibility for all transactions during shift; return cash drawers and bank change to safe at close, go to bank for change as needed
- Follow and enforce guidelines, policies, and procedures set forth by the ICA and the Associate Director of Visitor Services
- Attend quarterly staff meetings
- Rotate as shift leader as assigned to lead daily tasks and handle opening and closing duties as scheduled
- Communicate with gallery and security supervisors when required
- Assist with troubleshooting technical issues and Tessitura operations
- Complete daily tasks as assigned by shift leader
- Process donation requests, run event sales reports, and log museum attendance
- Other duties as assigned
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Possess the ability to remain calm under pressure, use good judgement, and respond effectively to visitor concerns
- A self-starting attitude with the initiative to keep oneself informed and on-task
- Ability to work well both with a team and independently
- Possess the ability to troubleshoot issues and respond effectively during high-volume times
- Must be reliable, punctual and honest, with a team player attitude
- Ability to work collegially, professionally and collaboratively with a diverse group of constituents including staff, visitors, and vendors
- Provide a high level of customer service to visitors
- Availability to work 15 flexible hours including evening, weekend shifts, and holidays
- Prolonged periods of remaining stationary such as when sitting at admissions desk
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time
- Ability to move about in the office to access file cabinets, printer, and other office equipment
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Starting Salary/Compensation: $18.00 per hour
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. When applying, please include “Visitor Services Associate” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
100 Pier 4 Blvd,
Boston, MA 02210
256 Marginal Street
Boston, MA 02128
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the
museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals. The ICA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, contact HR-EOE@icaboston.org or 617-478-3171.