Under the supervision of the Chief Preparator, the Installer works with Preparators, Registrars, and Curators in packing artwork for shipping and storage, loading artwork and materials in and out of the facility, preparing the galleries for exhibition, constructing exhibition furniture and elements, performing wall preparation and installing lighting, and maintaining artwork. The installer may be asked to work on other tasks as needed related to equipment storage, materials inventory and shop maintenance. This is a seasonal, hourly position.
- All ICA employees are required to reside in Massachusetts and within a reasonable commuting distance from our Seaport location as of their first day of work.
- Preparation of galleries for exhibitions including demolition and rebuilding of walls, patching, repairing, and painting of the space
- Use of professional art handling and installation methods
- Maintenance of exhibition galleries and artwork
- Maintenance of technical elements in exhibitions
- Lighting exhibitions
- Production and fabrication of display furniture and exhibition materials
- Packing, crating, and moving artwork to a high professional standard
- Fabrication and installation of exhibition graphics
- Maintenance of ICA workshop
- Experience handling artwork in a variety of media
- Understanding of the fundamentals of art handling procedures
- Basic working knowledge of tools and materials
- Basic working knowledge of audio/visual equipment
- Ability to take direction, follow instructions, and work as part of a team
- Requires routine handling of heavy and delicate materials and objects
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds over head and be able to work on ladders and mechanical lifts
- Installations periods may require extended work hours and 7 day work weeks
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While the above is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Hourly Rate Range: $20–$30/hour, commensurate with skillset and experience
Compensation is based on meeting minimum qualifications.
Each ICA position has a job grade based on the position’s evaluated job responsibilities, required education and experience, needed skills to perform the job, and professional knowledge.
The position’s grade and respective compensation range is determined by the position’s overall responsibilities, including decision making, supervisory/management requirements, resource management and budgeting duties. Compensation is ultimately determined by the scope of the position and responsibilities, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity, with starting salaries typically falling in the lower half of the compensation range.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org . When applying, please include “Installer” in the subject line.
The ICA is located at 25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, and is accessible by public transportation (Red and Silver Line).
100 Pier 4 Blvd, Second Floor
Boston, MA 02210
256 Marginal Street
Boston, MA 02128
The ICA is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic workforce committed to working in a multicultural environment. Qualified candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the museum professions are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ICA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.